Thursday 27 September 2012

Giovanni Segantini

Although I wanted the first post to be about Picasso, I deciced to write about Giovanni Segantini. He was an Italian painter. Born 1858 died 1899, he didn't live very long, but even though he was one of the most famous painters in Europe through the 19th century. He's best know for his landscapes of the Alps.


"I am now working passionately in order to wrest the secret of Nature's spirit from her. Nature utters the eternal word to the artist: love, love; and the earth sings life in spring, and the soul of things reawakens." (Segantinis words after moving to the mountains.)

L'angelo della vita (1894)
 This is the work that captured my attention. I really like it, even though it may seem a little bit grey, the colours are just perfect, of course they are not bright, I'd even say they look a little bit dirty but that makes the atmosphere of this painting.

Alla stanga

Afternoon in the Alps
I quite like the way in which these 3 paintings are painted.
Donna alla fonte (c. 1893)

Pascoli Alpini
Self-portrait (1893)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...